Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Ties that bind










According to Chinese legend, the gods have tied an invisible red string on the ankles of those who are fated to meet. The 'red thread' is used by diety, Yue Lao, the must trusted 'matchmaker' [for marriages, anyway]. Although I do not follow Chinese tradition, I am drawn to this belief. To think that there is some explanation to why you meet the people you do, as you both serve a purpose to each other when you cross paths.

My experience at the Mildura Writer's Festival is one hell of an example of why I have such faith in this Chinese parable. I believe that I was connected to those who I have met and come across here in Mildura. Although I was originally on a trip to Mildura for the sole purpose of submerging myself into the work of the featured writers, I found myself benefiting even more from the students I spent 5 brilliant days with.

When we wrapped up the our last event for the festival, we huddled as a team and decided to spontaneously take a trip to the sand dunes west of Mildura. We bathed in the sunlight, each with a bottle of Chancer in our hands, reflecting on our time together as a crew. In between the laughter and chatter of our conversations, I was so engaged on the different perspectives of life these people had given me. Each person had a different story to bring to the table, whether it was in their quirks, plans or past, I realised that no one was the same.

Sometimes it is unbelievably miraculous how blessed I am to have been tied with a red string with to these other students. Even if the festival had enlightened me with so much to bring home to Melbourne, it is without a doubt that I must give my biggest thanks to the students who I spent almost every waking hour with for five days. I only hope that the next string that is tied to me is as inspiring as this bunch.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous image - a red thread, tied to the ankle.And how lovely that you think of it in relation to your classmates. I shall hold onto that image too.

    ReplyDelete