Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Punch drunk poetry







I'd like to declare that my goal in life is to have the same on-stage chemistry as Peter and Sharon in my eventual relationship. There are too many clichés in this world and to say that two poets who write about love, loss and sex that share on-stage chemistry is an understatement. The conversation between the two poets consisted of an hour and a half of enjoyable banter and entertaining sex jokes and innuedos. Is it odd to say that this was my idea of a perfect afternoon?

"I'd give you all the reading time you want" says Peter, cracking a joke at Sharon with the cheekiest smile on his face. The audience burst with laughter knowing exactly what he was intending. Least we forget that his wife was somewhere in the audience, tagging along with the infectious giggle encapsulating the room. The poem I had attempted to write in my last post was inspired by this session - I had never felt tension in such a beautiful manner.

Both of the poets expressed their appreciation for rejection. "They told me to write for a ladies home journal" Sharon says, as she laughs at her past experience of receiving distaste from a publishing firm.  Peter proceed with the topic stating his admiration for risk-taking and how one must take a leap of faith in order to discover their own style. Wonderfully said by a true poet, Peter carries on by stating that "if there's a crack, that's how the light comes in". 

The whole session was filled with bits and pieces of wisdom to take home with, encouraging the audience to be fearless. "We all have our disobedient streak" that both Peter and Sharon nod their heads at each other in recognising that you must be wicked to be good.

Other than literary advice, it was evident that Peter and Sharon had their fair share of genuine, authentic love. "When you love, it shows our best and our worst", watching the whole room stop in awe when Peter utters the words his heart was pumping him to say.

Later that evening, I had a chat with Sharon Olds later that night at Art Vault and how all I see in her is beauty, no matter how explicit her poetry is. And well, I got Peter Goldsworthy to put his last name on my first so you can basically say that we're married. Enough sex and love for the day? I don't think I need anymore doses.


No comments:

Post a Comment