Monday, July 27, 2015

You can pay for school...

...But you can't buy class.




Most kids despise going to school. To my surprise, author Alexis Wright was one of those kids. Although, it was neither algebra or the study of the anatomy that made her loathe her days in preparatory. 

"They didn't expect much from us. Aboriginal children weren't expected to do much. And so, I wasn't taught anything." So how did Alexis Wright become the brilliant woman standing before my very own eyes, without a proper education? 

"I loved understanding things", as she makes me recognise that at times, what is important is our understanding rather than our knowledge.

As she spoke about her educational experiences as a young girl, it reminded me much of my years as a Year 11 and 12 student. Whether it was my background or my behavior with my peers, my teachers constantly expected nothing of me. There were a number of incidents where I was wrongfully treated by whom I am supposed to call my superiors. Without going into detail, it was a dark time in my life where I was bombarded with harsh words from my own teachers to my face and behind my back. 

I will never forget Alexis Wright, as she proudly says "It's good I didn't learn anything from school because they weren't teaching us the right things. I learnt that by myself later on."

Those teachers who had this constant judgmental attitude towards me and my abilities turned me into an angry and fragile adolescent. It was not until I graduated that I stopped resenting myself or those who doubted me. I, instead, thank them. I thank them for criticizing me because when I recognised my worth, they cannot take credit for nurturing nor teaching me. I found myself on my own.

"You can't have someone tell you what your future will be" while glitters sparked in Alexis' eyes when she spoke about her obstacles on achieving her most truest self in front of us. Sitting at the kiddy table situated at the back of the crowd, I did not see Alexis holding a mic but instead, a trophy. That morning, I saw it for myself - she won. She put down her own Goliath. 

I felt as if I was slowly taking parts of Alexis every time I wrote her words down. She enchanted me not only with her literary work, but with her raw, genuine and best self. And she wasn't ashamed to show it. 

Getting to know the authors at a more personal level than just their work is one of the most enlightening experiences I have witnessed first hand. It has allowed me to bring the best version of my self to the table, knowing that success doesn't come easy. Alexis Wright didn't have to pay for a top-notch, Harvard-level undergraduate education. Class and prosperity was made at her own terms. 





No comments:

Post a Comment